About the RMS


The Royal Society of Miniature Painters, Sculptors & Gravers was founded in 1896 by Alyn Williams who was the first President, a position he occupied until 1898, and then again from 1908 until 1941. The Society's Inaugural Exhibition, held in 1896 in the Modern Gallery, was the first to be devoted exclusively to contemporary miniatures and was an immediate success. King Edward VII granted the Royal Charter in 1905. In 1926 the RMS extended its welcome to other forms of miniature art. Recognition of this wider scope was officially confirmed when Sculptors and Gravers were added to its name by Royal Command of King George V.

The Society's Aims are to Esteem, Protect and Practise the traditional 16th Century art of miniature work, emphasizing the infinite patience needed for its fine techniques.

President Ray Winder PRMS




Pictured: Bust of Alyn Williams

Past Presidents

Alyn Williams 1896-1898
Sir William Blake Richmond 1899-1907
Alyn Williams 1908-1941
S. Arthur Lindsey 1943-1951
Lt. Col. F.A. Goddard 1953-1956
Col. Scott Shepherd 1957-1970
Raymond Lister 1970-1980
Suzanne Lucas 1980-2004
Elizabeth Meek MBE 2005-2013
Rosalind Pierson 2013-2019

Officers

Ray Winder - President
Elizabeth Meek MBE - Hon President
Paul Eaton - Vice President (sculpture) 
Carole Flanders - Vice President
Marian Tumelty - Vice President
Helen White - Hon Secretary
Alan Metcalf - Hon Treasurer
Laura Critchlow - Publicity Officer

Council Members

Michael Coe
Tracy Hall
Tom Mulliner
Jenny Musker
Linda Kracht 




Full Member Certificate

Diploma Collection

An extensive archive collection of current members and past members work, referred to as the Diploma Collection.

A certificate or diploma is presented to new members, once a full membership is gained the artist is invited to donate one piece of their best work for the Diploma collection. 

Due to the extensive collection, new members are no longer required to donate their work.